6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Dodge Cummins Stuff > Dodge Ram/Cummins News
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dodge Ram/Cummins News Both Corporate and Truck Related News

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Default Have they fixed the DPF issues on the 2011s?

I am looking at buying a 2011. I will use it commute about 40 mile roundtrip everyday, and to pull a 10,000 trailer on weekends. I have heard that if you do not work these trucks, the DPF filter clogs up, and eventually soots up and potentially takes the turbo out. It also puts the truck into a limp home mode. Does anyone know if this is true of the 2011s?
Links
Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Default 2011 3500 Laramie

Only driving 30 mile round trip plus we let it warm up because of the winter here in Minnesota. We will also be pulling trailer in couple of months and hopefully the last winter here in MN.
4,800 miles so far it runs awesome. Heated seats and steering wheel is plus.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

I use mine as a daily driver now, max of 6 miles each way 5 days a week and on weekends up to 500 miles easy ..... 40K miles later, DPF on a 2008 working just fine.

As long as you learn how to drive and handle the truck, no issues at all.

'08 3500 HD Dually, SLT, 6.7L, 6 SPD Auto, 4.10 Axles, 4X4, Bighorn Edition
Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 PM

Default drive it right ?

this may have already been discussed, but just what is the "right way" to drive the ram ctd ? i've heard everything from "drive it normal" (whatever that means) to "drive it like you stole it". a little clarification for those of us new to diesels would be very helpful.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 AM

I've heard it all too. Its your truck, drive your way, but when you work it, be sure to work it hard. Whatever you do, do not drive it to the dealer and let them update any programing! You will be sorry!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM

thanks for the advice. does the dealer give you a choice when it comes to updates ? i thought that if it was in for service, they might just update it as a matter of course.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrufe View Post
I am looking at buying a 2011. I will use it commute about 40 mile roundtrip everyday, and to pull a 10,000 trailer on weekends. I have heard that if you do not work these trucks, the DPF filter clogs up, and eventually soots up and potentially takes the turbo out. It also puts the truck into a limp home mode. Does anyone know if this is true of the 2011s?
so many myths. justs drive the thing it will work as it was ment to. always use the exhust brake, when ideling at warm up or any time have the exhuast brake turned on, 18000 on my 09 and no dpf or any engine issues at all.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 PM

102,000 miles on my 07 and no dpf issues. I tend to drive with a heavy foot on the go pedal so I do work the engine. My driving varies from the equivalent of city stop and go traffic to highway to heavy towing but it is variable from day to day.... So just drive it hard once in awhile and minimize idling it.
28' PJ gooseneck,22,400 gvw
Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Head Flunky

I too have 102,000 miles (I need to start a forum for us old timers, LOL) with the same DPF and Turbo. Drive it like you stole it and she'll thank you with many, many happy code free miles

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 04-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Thanks everyone! Can you guys let me know what kid of mileage you are getting?
Links