6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel > Programmers and Chips
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Default Smarty Programmer in 6.7L - MPG

First off, I am a new member to the forum as well as to the Dodge/Cummins family.

I have a 2007.5 3500 with the 6.7L and I am running a Smarty Programmer along with other modifications. I was wondering if anyone else has played around with this programmer and figured out what the best setting is for fuel mileage?

I currently have it on the mild (90hp) setting with added timing and I have seen 20 mpg on a long road trip without hauling anything, but most of the time the digital display reads 15-17 mpg. With that said, I calculate the mpgs every time I fill up and the digital display is consistently about 2.2 mpg off So when it says Im getting 16 mpg I am truly getting about 14. Does anyone have this problem?
AFE Stage 2 Intake
H&S EGR Delete
Pro Comp Leveling Kit
35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
20x9 Method Race Wheels 301 Machined

Links
Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

First off, WELCOME ! Important thing to note is axle ratio, with that we can give more info.

Here is my setup, 2008 dually 3500 auto with 4.10 rear end. I have manual lockers in the front, 19.5 wheel with H rated tires. I have also ATS co-pilot and CAI and with smarty set at level 1 and holding a good 65 to 68 (speedo re-calibrated for wheels), I get over 20 hand calculated now easy on the highway and around 14 in the city (the 1050 lbs wheels is great for highway mileage, killer for city, too much mass to move, but great for ranch work since it adds weight and I get a good bite). All smog stuff fully operational. Without the re-calibration, my speedo reads 3 MPH fast on the highway which screws with hand calculations !

The overhead unit is what all call the lie-o-meter and is really never accurate. At times I can get it to read something like 65 MPG .... I wish

If I remove the co-pilot, smarty, and re-lock the front hubs and factory wheels, I get around 11 in town and maybe 14 on the highway. The co-pilot with smarty does cause me some grief with the dpf that I am working out. It runs the tranny and engine so cool that I can not hold heat for the regen so have to remove the smarty. Working out that issue currently and should have the combination of setting soon.

Hope that helps, others will chime in with their settings and what has worked best for them.

Cheers.

'08 3500 HD Dually, SLT, 6.7L, 6 SPD Auto, 4.10 Axles, 4X4, Bighorn Edition
Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 AM

hi every one this is my first post and just wondering about milage with smarty jr67. Ihave a 2007.5 6.7 with 410 rear.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

abois, WELCOME ABOARD !

Just to be clear with all, with a 4.10 rear end or higher, the truck is setup for pulling and not mileage. With that said, I am currently testing mileage setup. If you want mileage and not doing towing, might want to think about swapping to lower rear end ratio. If towing or hauling, 4.10 is the best.

Smarty on level #1 and ATS co-pilot on level 3, I am getting over 20 MPG calculated on highway usage only very easy. My city mileage is bad since I am setup for highway and towing.

Smarty on level #3 and co-pilot on level 3, I get a little over 19 MPG calculated on the highway. If a really good and keep it at 65 and no stomping on it due to bad drivers (dang hard to do at times).

Currently I am trying all sorts of settings and manual overrides, however I am delayed due to ongoing DPF problems. Not able to hold temp for DPF regen and tracking that down. SOX and NOX regens work great, so I must a value, tube or sensor issue some place (working on it).

With the smarty only, I had no success getting over 18 on the highway, the co-pilot (and a pile of other stuff) really helped my push it over the edge. Now I can drive to the ranch on quarter tank each way every single time with 2500 lbs load in the truck and full tank. When I started doing that run and the truck was new with no mods, it was almost 3/4 tank every single time each way.

Hope that helps.

'08 3500 HD Dually, SLT, 6.7L, 6 SPD Auto, 4.10 Axles, 4X4, Bighorn Edition
Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 12-25-2011, 04:16 PM

@ morbius
I have the 3.73 gears. Ive also wanted to get locking hubs in the front since I got the truck. Now does the co-pilot do anything for fuel mileage or just help protect the tranny? I have been looking into the co-pilot but with 121k miles on the tranny without it, I wonder if its even worth it.
AFE Stage 2 Intake
H&S EGR Delete
Pro Comp Leveling Kit
35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
20x9 Method Race Wheels 301 Machined

Links