6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel > Programmers and Chips
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Head Flunky

Default Edge Programmer Install and Review. Cummins 6.7L

The edge juice arrived intact and packed well. The parts seem to be high quality and they didn't miss a thing including tie wraps which now adays I found surprising. I took a quick inventory and nothing is missing and the manual is easy to read. The manual says 10 minutes to install the system.................we'll see tomorrow or Saturday.

I want to give a huge Kudos to Lethal Diesel.com Edge 07.5+ 6.7L Cummins 650 Series Juice with Attitude Monitor [EJD3000DWAM] : Lethal Diesel, Your #1 source for diesel performance for their great customer support. I ordered the Edge juice with Attitude Monday Afternoon and UPS tried to deliver it to me on Wednesday now that's service!
Attached Thumbnails
edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-01.jpg   edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-02.jpg   edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-egt1.jpg   edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-egt2.jpg   edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-egt3.jpg  

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10

Last edited by Squid; 04-20-2008 at 06:53 PM..
Links
Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Head Flunky

As so often happens when youíre having a good time company shows up so as you can see I didnít get to start installing the Edge juice until well after dark.

Required tool: They call out for a 10-mm box end wrench but youíre going to need more then that and rather then using the supplied paper install manual that comes with the Edge go ahead and use this Install PDF . The pictures are in color and larger which really helps out. I set one of my laptops up in the engine bay to save me a bunch of walking. Man I love Technology!

10mm socket or wrench
Needle nose pliers
Diagonal cutter (Dikes) or Scissors for cutting tie-straps
T15 Torx driver (for Removing Steering Wheel shroud
7MM nut driver for removing dash panel
Soldering Iron for soldering power wire to Fuse Tap (Optional)
Heat Shrink or Electrical tape if soldering the Power wire.
Silicone Caulking/RTV for the fuse box
Step Stool for reaching the # 4, 5& 6 injector connector.

Install

Steps 1 thru 4 are right on in the manual but after that the instructions become lacking in information so I hope the following additions help..

Step 5: Skip the part about hooking up the Data Link connector until last. Now grab your 7MM driver and remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the panel. The panel will now just snap off and remember to disconnect the connector for the Power Brake Pedal if equipped.

Now remove the (4) 7MM Torx screws from the steering column shroud. 2 are underneath the steering column, one is above the tilt steering wheel release and the last one actually holds the tilt steering wheel release knob.

Now pop out the gear shift boot on trucks with automatic transmission and now the shroud should just pop down. Above the that knob you took off for the tilt steering on the left side of the steering column is where youíll find the key position connector so you can hook up the turbo timer.

Youíll have to make a small cut in the fire wall Grommet in order to route the Turbo timer and data cables out to the engine bay. (Since I was putting my attitude module up between the storage slot and air vent below the radio rather then on the right side of the dash, I also routed my attitude wire at this time.) Later when I swap out my head unit I'll make a hole in that cubby to the right and route the wire through there out of site.)

Reinstall both panels and now hook up the Data cable.

Step 6:

In this step youíre connecting the Edge Module power wire.

A: This very Important

When connecting the fuse tap you must put the tap on the right leg of the fuse (Leg toward the drivers fender.) If you donít your Edge Module wonít be fused and this could possibly lead to a fire, in the least a burnt up module if something shorts out.

B: Another thing Iím not thrilled about is that the connector on the tap just slides on. I donít know about anyone else but the thought of that connector working loose on a bumpy road and then coming off out on the highway at 70 MPH and shutting down the engine didnít thrill me so I chose to solder my wire on and then cover it with heat shrink.

C: When routing the power wire out the side of the fuse box I used a file to make a notch in the box to prevent the wire from getting smashed when you close the lid. I then applied some Clear Silicone Caulk to the wire and the notch to help keep water, dust and small bugs out.

Now use the tie straps to tie up all the wires to keep them away from the fan, heat sources, your feet, etc. Make sure to cut off any excess. Do one last walk around and then fire that mother up!

(EGT Thermocouple Install)

The instructions were right on and the install went without a hitch thanks to my Dewalt right angle drill. (Isn't technology wonderful?)

I think if you don't have a right angle drill you might be able to still drill the hole by removing the fender liner and attacking the job from the wheel well but I'd do a dry run before buying the edge because a right angle drill isn't cheap. When tapping the hole make sure to stop as soon as the last of threads on the tap disappear into the hole or you'll end up with the thermocouple actually touching the back side of the manifold and giving you a false reading. Also go ahead and cover the batteries with a plastic bag so you don't take chance on touching the metal cable shielding to the positive side of the battery and literally melting the thermocouple or worse yet starting a fire.

One thing I did do because the thought of having metal shaving sucked up in the engine didn't thrill me was I stopped by the Auto parts store and bought some tubing that would fit in the drilled hole that I first taped to the Queens vacuum cleaner hose and then fished into the tapped hole and tried to suck out any shavings that might have fallen in along with letting the engine idle for a while after the install before actually driving it.
Attached Thumbnails
edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-1.jpg   edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-1ins.jpg   edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-2ins.jpg   edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-4ins.jpg   edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-6ins.jpg   edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-7ins.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf edge install.pdf (1.79 MB, 166 views)

Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10

Last edited by Squid; 04-20-2008 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Remembered how to spell Caulk
Old 04-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Squid, where are you going to mount your thermocouple??

7.5 3500QC 6.7CTD 68RFE Build date June 2007
Superchips tuner 3808, Boost/EGT Laser Gauge, Airaid cold intake
Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Also, get ready for for low rpm high power....It blows me away

Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Head Flunky

I got the install done except for the EGT thermocouple because I just flat ran out of time after I got rid of the company and here's where it'll go. I'll just break out the right angle drill 8 or 9 drill bits from tiny to 21/64 and just take my time.

Attached Thumbnails
edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-1ex.jpg  

Old 04-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mine is post turbo. It might be interesting to compare highest egt's...

Old 04-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Head Flunky

Vis-a'-vis, I didn't get the thermocouple installed again this weekend due to cold rainy weather here in Doo-Dah land, but it's suppose to warm up so hopefully this weekend. Then I'll be able to not only post the EGT but also play around with the settings of the Edge and try to find a happy spot for the engine.

Any ideas where the optimal setting might be on this truck. They say 1300 Degrees is about the max you want it to reach but I wonder what would be optimal for passive regen?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

I usually hit 1150 in full regen (post turbo) unloaded this does not seem to change in any of my power level settings. Passive is usually 600-800 unloaded (what I believe to be passive).
My trip last week was the first time that I towed our 5er (10,000 lbs loaded) with the egt gauge attached. I was towing with the 3808 set on the towing power level. Passive appeared to be higher around 800-950 and full regen at 1150. Average egt was higher overall.
There was a point, at 60mph in 6th with a heavy head wind, where I hit 1250 (and was still climbing). I shifted to 5th and it dropped back down. With the back slider open, you could smell the heat and that rotten egg smell. I know that you can fry the cat and dpf at higher temps. Not sure why it happened. My goal was to improve mpg but the truck didn't like it. I have the 3:73 gears and my rpm was at about 1500.
Big point is, I would have never know about the higher temps if the egt gauge was not installed.

Where is Doo-Dah land. Way down here in the land of cotton...Doo-Dah, Doo-Dah

Last edited by Vis-a'-vis; 04-15-2008 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: What the heck id Doo-Dah
Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Head Flunky

Guess I don't have my location listed. I'm just north of the Kansas/Oklahoma border but I'm a distinguished Southern Gentleman from the great state of Virginia. Ya got to go where the wifes from or there will be no peace in your home even if it is the armpit of the world. By the way, Iraq is the other armpit in case you're wondering.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Let's compare egt's once your install is complete. It might be good to log events by everyone...
BTW, I think Doo-Dah is also Cherokee Star on map is where I went to Highschool after my parents moved me from Long Beach Calif
Attached Thumbnails
edge-programmer-install-review-cummins-6-7l-stella.jpg  

Links