6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Transmission and Drivetrain
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Default 2008 ram 2500 hd 4x4, rear u-joints?

I was wondering if any one has had their u-joints fail? I have 27,600 miles on my truck and the rear drive shaft u-joint went bad at the rear axle and I think the one at the manual trans yoke is right there with it.... It seems a little odd to me for these parts to fail so soon? I know they are sealed and can't be greased , a feature I don't like ,and maybe dodge felt they should be the weakest link? I don't know if me running the brake all the time has shortened their life,or my driving style, or if I just got a bad set? I don't tow with it constantly or pull out tree stumps with it, or use it in truck pulls or races, I drive it to work and a few road trips, It hauls the family more than a load and yes it gets drove kinda hard but not to the point of abuse. well I was just seeing if any one had an issue or if I may have a fluke, or maybe I need to up grade to a better u-joint instead of turning it over to the dealer? thanks, steve.
Links
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Head Flunky

I'd say it's a fluke because I'm rapidly apoaching 90,000 miles, run the exhaust brake all the time and drive the crap out of her..................But I do have the auto trans?

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 PM

yep I think its a fluke as well, as I have never had them go bad this soon on any thing , and I have been thinking about it for a bit....and I was thinking it may have a bent or out of balance drive shaft or some other factor causing them to fail early, but up until recently, when they started giving up, I have not felt any vibration (a tell tail sign that some thing is a miss) well thanks again squid for the input and a great site... I will just take it to the dealer tomorrow after noon and see what they say, I left it at a friends about 60 miles away and drove my mustang to work the last two days until I had a day off to take it in..will keep every one updated when I know more.... I have been trying to work a deal on a 2010 laramie like it, with the dealer I got it from. (it may just be telling me its ready to go?? ha, ha,) I sure would like the heated seats ,back up camera, intergrated brake control,snow plow prep.(it adds a 180 amp alt.),and a automatic trans. to name a few goodies....well we will see ,
Old 03-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Head Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I have been trying to work a deal on a 2010 laramie like it, with the dealer I got it from. (it may just be telling me its ready to go?? ha, ha,) I sure would like the heated seats ,back up camera, intergrated brake control,snow plow prep.(it adds a 180 amp alt.),and a automatic trans. to name a few goodies....well we will see ,
I'm going that way too!

Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 AM

I seen you had mentioned it ,but wasn't sure if you had decided yet.. if you are going to order one I think May will be the last (build out for the model year) chance for a 2010,(most dealers don't order the trucks with the things the people who use or tow with their trucks would want/but thats how they market them,I still haven't figured that one out) I don't know whats up for 2011 and when or if they will go to the diesel exhaust fluid, scince the cummins met the 2010 standard early they kinda beat the epa to the punch as far as the d.e.f. is concerned, the cummins info say's that its up to them, on when they bring it to the market. the epa states the 2010 model year trucks will have it, so the chevy and ford I believe are runing it now and the dodge is the only one not, so far for 2010... but I haven't checked to see if they mandated the ford and gm's to run it yet or not? just what I have been told ...I think I better look into it and make sure before I get to much info out there and post things that may not be true... best of luck though with getting a laramie, I too like my BigHorn ,but the laramie just has more of what I want ,now that I know what they are like and whats available. Thanks,steve.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 PM

well they put in a whole new rear drive shaft... the dealer that done it said the first time they had that problem they just replaced the u-joint in the back ,then they said they had it come back in six months and had to put a u-joint in the front of the rear shaft. so after that they just started changing the whole shaft complete, with out further come backs...so i hope its solved.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:18 PM

Well I had the truck back for a bit ,but was still hearing a clunk going over bumps.. so we looked under it and found the transmission/transfercase mount was not bolted in, and the mount smashed... back to the dealer to get that fixed as well....that would explain why the rear u-joint went bad in 27,000 miles, with them moving around and puting things in a bind. now we will see how it is after all is fixed.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Head Flunky

That's freaking amazing that they didn't notice it when they were changing the driveshaft?

Links