6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel > Filters Oils and Fluids
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Default particulate filter

any of u diesel gurus ever hear of taking the particulate filter out, soaking it in a cleaning solution, then using a carwash wand to clean it out? i'm about to try it. diesel mechanic at a dodge dealership says about 9 times out of 10 it will work. saving several thousand dollars.
Links
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 AM

I read somewhere (it may have been a different forum) that there is a company that cuts the casing open, cleans the filtering material,welds tabs on and bolts the canister back together allowing future cleaning and prolonged dpf life at a fraction of what a new dpf costs. As an alternative, a dpf delete and tuner will set you back about $600 to $700 (mine was $659) and you wont have to worry about that ever again.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:49 AM

thanks. i've thought of that, but i haul commercially. if the d.o.t. ever gives me a thorough inspection, i'll be shut down and have a giant fine. gotta fix the filter.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

You do not have to cut open the case to clean the DPF, doing so will ruin it. There is a process available that takes the DPF and blows it clean to remove the ash content and that is done by a special system that meters the air and targets it to the cells in the DPF. Some folks (I have done this the EGR COOLER), run water through the DPF from rear to front and wash the soot and ash out of it. It does not take lots of pressure to do it, remember, its very fragile device and you do not want to crack it.

You DO NOT run chemicals through the DPF, doing will damage it. Remember is a catalyst device that has a reaction to raw diesel fuel contacting it. Running chemicals through it deposit on the material and next regen time, you most likely have an experience you wish you did not.

BTW, I know folks that have 150,000 miles on their existing never changed DPF and still running strong. So to date, if regen run the their course, no need to remove it and clean it. I know folks doing profession hotshot hauling with over 200,000 miles on their truck with still full smog running just fine and no deletes required. Your tranny will go well before a properly used DPF.

DOT inspections do not care about the condition of smog system. DOT cares about the condition, safety, and compliance of your truck and how you operate it. They will not do a smog check. Why the concern with DOT ?

Hey 79ta,

I would greatly appreciate it if ever time someone asks questions about smog on Cummins you stop pushing delete kits. There are other forums for that stuff, go there. This forum is based on working with trucks/engines, understanding them and getting the most of it. Like it or not, smog laws for diesel are here, some states stronger than other. However will be all state required very soon due to the dollar potential value of this economic strapped country. There may be a place and time where a delete may be needed, but that is not the solves all solution.

Cheers.

'08 3500 HD Dually, SLT, 6.7L, 6 SPD Auto, 4.10 Axles, 4X4, Bighorn Edition
Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 03-05-2011, 11:21 AM

thanks, morbius. (what does that mean, anyway?)
i appreciate your input, and you do sound like you've been there, done that, but you are wrong about the d.o.t. they are the governing authority on smog control, as far as commercial vehicles are concerned. And, in addition to fining me, if they can get you to rat out the mechanic who installed a delete device, they will fine him as well. California is the worst. When I was talking to my mechanic about this, I told him that I was not worried so much about any other state as I was about California.
I also have to have a yearly D.O.T. inspection. This goes far beyond your regular state inspection. D.O.T. monitors them very closely. At least here in Texas they do. And I suspect California is tougher.
I'm gonna try cleaning it with water. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info on smog with DOT, its been a long time since I pulled in for inspection (and back then, black diesel soot from the stacks was normal). However smog laws in place for diesel is visual only. If your tail pipe on your 6.7 shows any sign of soot at all, you have a cracked DPF and its not work correctly. Otherwise no matter what with a good working DPF, your tail pipe on the inside should look new. There are no tail pipe analyzers for diesel particulate count or NOX count per million like gas engines yet (or I should say to the best of my knowledge). I however know that it is in the works by several companies .....

On the hotshot forums where folks are using the 6.7L for licenses hauling and are folks with well over 100K miles, no one to date has done any service of their DPF beside the normal regen process that happens as part of the engine programming. Some DPF have been replaced due to warranty failures but that is the extent of it.

This is why I mentioned that removing the DPF for washing makes no sense unless its plugged. Now what has to be done on a regular interval is EGR cleaning, CCV filter replacement and possibly EGR cooler washing. DPF servicing is not even covered/mentioned by Cummins on non chassis/cab trucks. Chassis/Cab trucks have a different DPF that is designed to pop apart and the DPF section for maintenance since the duty cycle originally for C&C was planned to be city usage and regen process does always work correctly, so one can wash the filter and handle it that way.

So what this mean ? If your tail pipe still look like new on the inside (no black soot), your DPF is working correctly and nothing to do. If you have a dusting of black soot (rub your hand/fingers on the inside and it comes out black), then your DPF is cracked and has to be replaced. Washing it will do nothing except waste your time and give the dealer an excuse not to pay the 3K bill.

If you want, I can go into great details, I will leave it up too. I did post up a bit a go how to do EGR / EGR cooler service ....

http://www.cumminsownerz.com/f11/how...-976/#post5466

Here is link on ebay to a well know Dodge Dealer selling a service kit for above:

DODGE CUMMINS 6.7L 6.7 L EGR SERVICE MAINTENANCE KIT - eBay (item 390086527690 end time Mar-19-11 09:15:15 PDT)

Hope that helps. BTW, I live in California and watch the requirements closely. Yes, we are the worst, no one comes close to CA.

Cheers.

Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 03-05-2011, 01:07 PM

Just wondering how often or how many miles members here have had to clean the dpf. I am at 99,7xx miles and never cleaned it, I am also completly stock. I am in CA so have to do the smog check here and the techs do look under the hood and under the chassis for mods, so mods are tough to get away with.

At least there is a state senator who is introducing a bill that as long as the exhaust coming out the pipe meets standards then there is no reason to look under the hood and mods are ok as long as it passes smog tests coming out the pipe.
28' PJ gooseneck,22,400 gvw
Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

DodgeFarmer,

You can get away with mods depending on where you go. Lots of mods have filed for CARB approval. Mods like cams, twin turbos, deletes get you in trouble. Other like better flowing horns, CAI, and exhaust after DPF are allowed by CA owns paperwork.

As for DPF's, I have of folks on other forums with 2008's and 250K miles with stock service and no DPF issues or maintenance.

I have in years past fought CARB and won. I have produced performance engines with a fraction of the allowed output of the factory engine and they claimed illegal. Well when repeated test showed the engine was more efficient and cleaner, they had to grant it approval. 15 years later, those engines are still running and still cleaner than original (I have stayed in contact with the owners).

I agree with the State Senator (at one of them is thinking for a change), if tail pipe tests meet requirement, that is all that counts !!!

Cheers.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

BTW, if you do wash out the DPF (which I strongly suggest not doing if not plugged), better make damn sure its stone dry before starting the engine. That will take a while. Steaming will break it and its a 2500.00 for the part alone ....

Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Morbius;
Thanks for the soap box stand, I applaud you.
I too have done the 'cheat the system' thing for many years, great results were produced, but never went as far as fighting CARB rules. I am a fan of stock. Mine will remain this way probably until I trade it in for a newer model..
The mileage issue continues to surface and my take is to buy a smart car if you want better mileage, for crying out loud we drive big a** trucks.

Back on track; I agree that if the DPF is fouled, you will most likely have to replace it.
If the system is maintained and you operate it at it's optimum it will provide many years and miles of quality service. Birth defects do occur with everything built by humans.
Mine (knock on wood) has had no issues because I maintain it and use it as designed.

Thanks
07.5 3500 Quad, SRW, 4X4, Laramie, Leathered, Dark Metallic Gray, 6.7, 68RFE, 20K Reese, Ride Rite's, 2 Viair air compressors, Bully steps, Kleinn Locomotive air horns (5 in all), Billet polished locking fuel door, 'A' pillar mount Auto Meter Pryo, PML X-deep trans pan
06 Durango 285 RL 5'er Lifted by KZ
Links