6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel > Filters Oils and Fluids
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 PM

Default Greasing the front drive shaft???

I have a question about the front drive shaft and lubing it. I know that I have to lube it but my questions are where exactly do i lube because anything i have ever seen on my truck (2008 6.7l 2500 4X4 CTD) as far as pictures they are very vague and hard to see what to lube. my next question is what type of grease should I use?
Links
Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Head Flunky

Yes it's hard to find. You can get the fitting for your grease gun that resembles a needle like what you use to air up a football or basketball.

I use a synthetic grease.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Squid your a rockstar brother! that helps. Hey and one other thing, maybe I am opening up a whole can of worms here but how in the heck do you replace, when they are do for it, the u joints on this thing? If you notice they have tiny teflon pins holding them in. Can you drill them out and then use regular aftermarket heavy duty U joints? I know the dealer did that to sway someone like me who likes doing my own work on my truck to spends tons of money on it for them to do it. Got any ideas or have you replaced yours at all or heard of anyone who has? are these u joints like u joints of old where if you hear the ominous "klunk" when you shift in gear or get under it and you can move the drive line up and down and side to side its time to replace them? thanks!!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Yup, the testing is the same but removal is done with heat and/or a press. Regular style joints are the replacement.
2007 Ram 2500 QC 4x4 SLT TRX4-Offroad 6.7L Automatic full deletes 4" TBE XRT Pro Gauges Pusher intake manifold & tube S&B with scoop. '13 Jeep GC Laredo 5.7 - wife's DD. '98 Jeep XJ-my wife's former DD. 1965 Dodge Polara 880 Convertible 383 Automatic.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Head Flunky

Unfortunatly, I've not heard of anyone who've had luck replacing the u-joints on these new light weight driveshafts becuase it will be out of balance. Ram Heavy Duty Upgraded U-Joints

I've also replaced the front u-joints and bearings. Ram Heavy Duty Torque King U-Joints

Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 12-11-2011, 06:03 PM

I hate to keep beating this horse but I spent and hour under my truck looking for the grease joint after buying a needle grease fitting and still did not find the fitting. Under the hood it says grease the front ujoint but is it there on a 2011 4x4? I looked at all of the u-joint I think there are 4 on 2 drive shafts. I rolled it in the carport complete revolution for all still did not find. Even came back inside and looked at the pictures. the guy that owned this truck before me had it serviced at a dodge dealer and there is no grease on the outside of the u-joint like shown in a differen picture. Guess I will look again next weekend
Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Head Flunky

It's just the front and it's a mother to find. I had to jack the front up (I believe it's the driver side that allows the driveshaft to rotate freely) and rotate the driveshaft, over, and over, and over.....................................

Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 PM

One more question. Is it the main drive shaft going to the rear differential or the one going to the front differential?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Default Greasing the front drive shaft!!!

Hey Guys,
Looking aft above the crossmember you will see the "flush" fitting as I greased mine today. Be careful not to overdue it as grease will be coming out the back side and you can't see it until grease is all over the rear of the u-joint assembly. Squid's picture is spot on. Thanks
Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 PM

Ok so after some searching and CLEANING! lol I found it! I made a video and posted it on youtube as well. The picture squid posted was an accurate photo but it was of a clean drive shaft. lol follow this link to see my video. Good luck, hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOa8W...ature=youtu.be

08 6.7L engine NOT STOCK, 6 speed auto, 2 inch leveling kit sittin on 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country ATII, 3.73 rear end, SLT package, Smarty Jr with Edge CTS monitor system. 24MPG@65MPH , use RBP fuel additive.
Links