6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel > Filters Oils and Fluids
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 02:48 PM

Default Crankcase Vent Filter

After reading some of the threads on the CVF and how important it is to change prior to the recomended timeframe, thought yall might find this interesting. I got the filter from Geno's gargage as suggested. Side note couldn't find another parts store in my area that carried one other than the Dodge and they wanted $120 or so. Much better deal at Geno's for $70 after shipping. Anyways, once I got the old one out it looked rather full (heavy and dripping oil). Decide to weight it and see what the difference was from the new one. The old filter weighed approximately 2lbs more. Don't know how this compares to what others have found but it was more than I expected. My truck just rolled over 62,000 and unless I find that to be norm for the filter I will jump on the wagon for changing it every 40K.
Links
Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Head Flunky

That's the norm and a good way to suck oil down into the turbo. 40,000 is as far as I'm going from now on.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 AM

I'm wondering how I'm going to remember this. I have a hard enough time trying to remember to feed the dog. Do any of you guys have an Excel program or something designed to help you keep track?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 PM

just keep a log book i the glove box for fluids and filters
Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM

Default Filters from Cummins Dealer

Just got back from Cummins Dealer
CCV Filter 55.43
Oil Filter 12.65
Sales Tax 4.08
Total 72.16
Try Cummins before you go paying shipping
My dealer is in Fairmont WV

If you join their owners club, I believe you get 10% off also.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mcclendon5

For what its worth I did my first change at about 28,000(ish) miles and before the J35 recall. The next one i went probably 32,000ish miles. 1st completely oil soaked. 2nd not near as bad. The J35 may have helped lot on this but I have no real proof on that other than eyeball. Could be coincidence though also but I don't believe in those.
Patrick
Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Head Flunky

I'm going to pull mine this weekend so I'll let you know.

Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM

DPF CCV filter CDR and Dodge warranty no more lies!!

Hey guys... the pressure that the mechanic is talking about is a little complex. If the aftermarket air filter system flows too well then the suction before the turbo is reduced. The CDR valve in top of the valve cover opens and shuts according to pressure build up in the engine. The engine is designed to keep a small positive pressure in the engine to keep oil sling and the emissions down keeping heavier gassing to the bottom of the engine. It also allows a small overall hp increase from the oil sling. The problem with these Cummins engines is that when the engine is turned off then the positive pressure mostly stays in the engine and coupled with the CDR valve being shut holds oil in top of the engine causing a premature oil soaked crankcase filter. One of Dodge tricks is to blame you the customer for adding too much oil to the engine. They blame us because they say there is too much oil and we should of known better. If you check a dodge 6.7 after an oil change it will always read low on the dipstick. Concerning the after market air system it reduces the suction and is really a good thing not bad because the positive pressure in the engine should pass tru the filter in a passive form and not a suction as much thus reducing the oil soaked air filter... one problem of course would if the unburned crankcase gasses were not removed by some restriction then there would be oil leaks in gaskets to the outside by too much internal pressure.

Suggestions to Dodge... create a passive style crankcase filter with a mechanical low psi check valve to the turbo to pass emissions and keep the positive benefits of the positive pressure in the engine... also reduce the suction from the turbo to make it more passive. Concerning the oil drain they would need a solenoid to open the system when the key is turned off.

The real problem is the CDR valve stays shut when the engine is turned off it holds oil in the CCV filter. Pre-mature oil soaked filters cause oil laden air to be sucked into the turbo... causing more emissions... oil soaked intercoolers and clogged DPF.... Bottom line do not let dodge tell you it is your fault.

To fix the problem is a matter of how you deal with the warranty issue... First understand what is going on and do not let them in any way try to blame you. I have been told almost everything in the book by them and my truck is bone stock besides a suspension lift and tires; which we all know in no way voids your warranty. I keep it bone stock until the extended warranty is over. They have lied to me about so many things to keep from them warranting; I have 40,000 miles and they said I did not pull maintenance on the CCV filter so covering my clogged DPF is my fault even though the replacement is 60k per the maintenance book. There is much more to the story such as them trying to blame for a partially clogged fuel filter causing a DPF failure.... what a joke and impossible... no DTC codes for this and I was able to drive it like normal. The factory offered to clean the fuel tank for free even though the fuel was clean... their tech checked and no particles. I told them to leave the tank alone because their game is to cause blame. If they clean the tank then they say I was running dirty fuel and can say no lemon law can be applied. They now say they will clean the DPF and replace the fuel filter(stock Mopar) and case that the fuel flows through.... another trick... try to show that I ran bad fuel to cause emissions to clog DPF.... Everyone do not buy their lie... stick to your guns.... they will have to reveal this design defect!!
Edit/Delete Message
Old 06-16-2012, 12:55 PM

Hello everyone. Just joined up and glad I did. Here's my first of many questions I'm sure.
I need to change the CCV filter on my 2008 cummins 6.7, Turbo. Do I need to replace with a Mopar CCV filter to not void the warranty? I appreciate any and all feedback

Ronnie
Old 06-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Head Flunky

We all get ours from Geno's garage.
and here's a HOW to Cummins 6.7L Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) Filter Change

Links