6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Suspension
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suspension Questions and Answers concerning both OEM and Aftermarket suspensions

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM

Default Yukon free spin kits installed

My local dealer installed Yukon free spin kits, new Moog greasable ball joints and new universal joints this week. The installation went great. They changed my front/rear diff fluids also. The front was clear but the rear fluid was very dark like black. I am impressed with the Yukon quality and the no need to order adapters from another business to install the kit. In total the Yukon kit is almost half the cost of a Dynatrac kit and hub adapters. -- Another plus with Yukon kit, they use milled adapters which is much stronger and is more reliable that any casting. My steering is much more responsive -- Install can be viewed at 2007.5 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Diesel - 245x70x19.5 wheels

2007.5, QC-DRW 3500 BFT Laramie, SunCoast 68rfe, 3.73LS, 988s, AMSOil Dual-Gard ByPass, PML, Cool Hose, MBRP 5", Aero 5050, Valvoline Blue Extreme. Yukon free spin, 245x19.5" wheels/tires -38EL Cedar Creek-Champagne Edition 17.5 H-Rates tires
My 2007.5 DRW Truck
Links
Old 09-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Cumminz,

If I may ask, what was your thought process for choosing Yukon hubs over something like Spyntec dually hubs ?

Cheers.

'08 3500 HD Dually, SLT, 6.7L, 6 SPD Auto, 4.10 Axles, 4X4, Bighorn Edition
Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 AM

It appears that both units are built about the same. I did notice several differences.

1) price
2) The hub on the Spyntec has 8 holes drilled in it to press the lugs into the other side. That slightly weakens that flange. My installer had a neat little gizmo that he used to pull the lugs into place without pressing.
3) The spindle is built a little different comparing the two. It appears the Spyntec spindle has the mounting block for the ABS built into it. The Yukon has it fastened to it so you can turn it around to fit both sides. Either design is OK unless you have mounting problems later and Yukon is replacable without replacing the entire hub assembly.
4) The hub is a pretty gold color.[/B]

Spyntec hub

2007.5, QC-DRW 3500 BFT Laramie, SunCoast 68rfe, 3.73LS, 988s, AMSOil Dual-Gard ByPass, PML, Cool Hose, MBRP 5", Aero 5050, Valvoline Blue Extreme. Yukon free spin, 245x19.5" wheels/tires -38EL Cedar Creek-Champagne Edition 17.5 H-Rates tires
My 2007.5 DRW Truck

Last edited by CumminZ; 09-03-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting .... Ok I understand price point and personal preference.

The reason I asked it because I spent more than 6 months studying and analyzing the various kits out there before I did mine. At the time, yukon was not a player if I remember correctly, however their kits is identical to many other kits out there. So I was checking to see if I missed something .....

EMS has been selling the kit that is now available via yukon for a long time now, here it is ($1495.00 do not know if that is a good or bad price):

The note on the additional holes causing structural weakness is accurate. That flange is 3 times the needed thickness and only servers on a rotational force. What is not seen, on the spyntec kit, the rotor is pinned to the hub. Its hub centered and when the bolts go into place, they have a spline on them like the lug nut studs. That rotor becomes part of the hub, the shear force required on the bolts at that point are very high. That dually hub has been copied many time over from the original engineered design.

The other note about the ABS sensor, on the sypntec unit, the abs ring is fully enclosed like the OEM and not an add on block. A thread lube and no worries about the allen screw getting stuck (should do that no matter what hub used). The structural design of the sypntec spinal is very different and offers a very thick flange that has more surface area which is structural. There are many pluses having the sensor and ring enclosed, I have seen already several ABS rings torn up due to debris getting lodged in there. Each time, its required a new hub ($400.00 plus).

There are properties of the sypntec kit that explains the higher cost, the manufacturer does not do a good job at all in explaining them.

All these kits are great, some have advantages over each others. And your install looks good. You will be pleased with the performance, handling and better mileage.

There is one design flaw found these kits real quick and managed to fix it before the trust bearing was damage (others not so lucky). On the replacement outer shaft the 35 spline side as a grove for a retaining clip (1.5 inches if I remember correctly). That clip helps hold the axle shaft positioned correctly so that the seal on the trust bearing actually stays in place. If not installed, the axle shaft slides in toward the axle itself and its enough to all allow the seal to slide out and render useless. This allows water to enter and make its way the locker and outside bearing. If your axle shaft is up against the outer housing and there is no gap, then the shaft has slide back toward the differential (not a good thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminZ View Post
It appears that both units are built about the same. I did notice several differences.

1) price
2) The hub on the Spyntec has 8 holes drilled in it to press the lugs into the other side. That slightly weakens that flange. My installer had a neat little gizmo that he used to pull the lugs into place without pressing.
3) The spindle is built a little different comparing the two. It appears the Spyntec spindle has the mounting block for the ABS built into it. The Yukon has it fastened to it so you can turn it around to fit both sides. Either design is OK unless you have mounting problems later and Yukon is replacable without replacing the entire hub assembly.
4) The hub is a pretty gold color.[/B]

Spyntec hub

Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 09-04-2011, 04:45 AM

Morbius, You did a good job. You left out the difference in the color of the units. My wife approved of the pretty gold color.
My 2007.5 DRW Truck
Old 09-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

That is a very important item, when wives approve, we can do a lot on our trucks !! Its like money in the bank

Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Harried Harry

When they disapprove, then we really catch it!
Links