6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Suspension
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suspension Questions and Answers concerning both OEM and Aftermarket suspensions

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Head Flunky

Default Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 Ball Joint Replacement

While I had the front end torn apart I checked my Ball Joints on my truck and after 90,000 miles they checked out OK but they are a known weak link and I figure this summer I'll have to change them out too. QUAD 4 x4

So here's a PDF on how to change them out to help anyone else thinking about doing this Job.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tsb4586 balljoints.pdf (616.0 KB, 167 views)

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Links
Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Great document. I may even attempt this myself. Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Head Flunky

Glad to help! I'm going to start gathering the parts and tools.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 PM

I just had my dealer install Yukon free spin kits and while he was in there he installed Moog greasable ball joints and a pair of universal joints.

2007.5 CTD, QC-DRW 3500 BFT Laramie, Smarty S-67, AMSOil Dual-Gard Bypass, Custom Line-X 4x4, 4.10LS, 988s, 68rfe, MBRP 5", Mobil Delvac. Yukon free spin, 19.5x245 G647 Goodyear's - 2006 - 37RLTSD Cedar Creek-Day Dreamer
My 2007.5 DRW Truck at www.CumminZ.com
Old 12-12-2011, 01:16 AM

Wow, I like, but holy cow pretty spendy for the free spins!

Also I was reading about the ball joints and the knuckles on these dodges with AAM 9.25 axles and I found something interesting. It would seem that the ball joints are set up for failure in that they are set at an odd angle forcing the bottom joint to take almost 100% of the weight and the top ball joint is like a "king pin" and holds the knuckle in place and it supports no weight. Also read that it really doesn't matter if you get greaseable or sealed non greasable ball joints, they are eventually going to fail because of the design flaw in the knuckle. So it's not a question of if but when I have to replace them. The material I read showed pictures of failed ball joints on a 2005 dodge and they were the sealed non greaseable factory joints. They still had grease in them and still failed. If you look at the above pics in this post at the knuckle you can see the top portion of the knuckle is off set from the bottom. Anyone else hear anything diffrent or have anything to add?

08 6.7L engine NOT STOCK, 6 speed auto, 2 inch leveling kit sittin on 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country ATII, 3.73 rear end, SLT package, Smarty Jr with Edge CTS monitor system. 24MPG@65MPH , use RBP fuel additive.
Links