6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Electrical
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Got a P0336 Code - Crankshaft Position Sensor

Can someone tell me exactly where the crankshaft position sensor is located on the 6.7 L?

Truck currently won't start and figured would replace this as a start.

Thanks,
Links
Old 04-11-2011, 02:22 PM

If find where it goes, would you share the location with me. I am on my way to pick one up for my truck and have no clue where it is located. Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Head Flunky

Here ya go.

Theory of Operation

The ECM provides a 5-volt supply to the engine crankshaft speed/position sensor on the sensor supply circuit. The ECM also provides a ground on the sensor return circuit. The crankshaft speed/position sensor provides a signal to the ECM on the crankshaft speed/position sensor signal circuit. This sensor generates a signal to the ECM as the crankshaft speed indicator ring moves past sensor. The ECM interprets this signal into an engine speed reading and determines engine position. The ECM illuminates the MIL lamp immediately after the diagnostic runs and fails. During this time the camshaft speed sensor is used to provide engine speed and position information to the ECM. The customer may experience an engine misfire as control switches from the primary to the backup speed sensor. The ECM will turn off the MIL lamp when the diagnostic runs and passes in 4 consecutive drive cycles.
  • When Monitored: With the key on.
  • Set Condition: The voltage detected at the Crankshaft position sensor is below a calibrated value.
Possible Causes
CKP SENSOR
(K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(K824) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
(K925) RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN
(K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K925) RETURN CIRCUIT
(K824) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K925) RETURN CIRCUIT
(K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K824) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
(K24) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K824) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY NEGATIVE
INTERMITTENT CONDITION
ECM

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Head Flunky

Here's a picture of where the crankshaft sensor on the Cummins 6.7L is located.

Here'sa link to the connector and sensor locations on the 6.7L engine.
Cummins 6.7L Engine Sensor and Connector locations

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 05-21-2011, 12:26 PM

Has anyone replaced the crankshaft sensor and fixed the problem? Mine started misfiring and throwing codes a week ago. Now it doesn't want to start sometimes. Looking for feedback before I start down this trail.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 PM

The above diagram does not give the "Crankshaft sensor" location. It gives CrankCASE sensor. Is there anyone that can give me the location?
Thanks.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Corrected information on CPS location for a 6.7 engine ..... Located at the front of the engine, driver side, down by the oil pan next to the harmonic dampener ......

For the 6.7, here is the pic of the sensor:

The actual location, front of the engine on the driver side, lower part of the engine next to the oil pan facing the damper:

Closer view from under the engine:

From the top looking down:

Pic are thanks to ClayCountyCummins on another forum, to dang cold outside right to snap these pics.

I wonder why cummins changed this from the 5.9 to the 6.7 ..... Should have realized something seemed wrong when I kept looking at the 6.7 damper and seeing the indexing ring on it and not on the 5.9 ..... Again sorry for the wrong info !

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
got-p0336-code-crankshaft-position-sensor-dsc00035.jpg   got-p0336-code-crankshaft-position-sensor-dsc00032.jpg   got-p0336-code-crankshaft-position-sensor-dsc00034.jpg   got-p0336-code-crankshaft-position-sensor-dsc00039-1.jpg  

'08 3500 HD Dually, SLT, 6.7L, 6 SPD Auto, 4.10 Axles, 4X4, Bighorn Edition
Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Links