6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Head Flunky

Default P2262 - Turbo Boost Press Not Detected-Mechanical

So I changed the oil last Sunday and as I was backing down the drive to go on my nightly 100 mile drive I heard that familiar chime that can only mean one of two things, an oil change reminder or a CEL (Check Engine Light). This time it's a CEL so I stop the truck and scroll through my Edge display and find Code P2262 - Turbo Boost Press Not Detected-Mechanical. One of the things I always do after changing the oil is start her up and right before I shut her down I rev her up to make sure the filter doesn't leak so I figure it's just a hick-up so I clear the code and continue on my way noting when I get out on the highway that there is in fact Boost being registered on my Edge display.

I make 4 stops and as I'm accelerating from a stop after the 4th stop I once again hear the chime and I glance over at the Edge and I see the boost at 2 so when I get to the next stop I check the code again and it's P2262 once again, weird. I clear the code and and for the next 7 stops nothing.

I look at the breakdown of the Turbo when I get home and decide that it's probably soot on the actuator and it dawns on me that it's been a couple of weeks since I'd had to move anything so the exhaust brake hadn't been used. As a matter of fact I couldn't remember using it since I had been experimenting with the Ebrake, Regenerations and MPG.

So Monday I use the Ebrake and once again I pull the code after I leave the 4th stop but not again the rest of the night. Now I'm puzzled, so I call my Service department and find that I have all the latest flashes done so I'm still thinking soot. Tuesday I run the Ebrake and once again I pull the code after the 4th stop?

Wednesday as I come up to the 4th stop I realize that I have to go up a pretty good grade to get to the site and from owning tractors I know that when you lug them you get lots of black smoke so I'm thinking the truck is going up this grade in 5th or 6th gear thus sooting up the actuator and sure enough when i leave the 4th site I pull the 2262 code once again.

So on Thursday I run the Ebrake out on the highway and when I get to the 4th site I manually down shift to third gear and guess what? That's right no P2262 code since Wednesday.

Man I love this truck.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10

Last edited by Squid; 07-05-2008 at 10:54 PM..
Links
Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Head Flunky

So far so good still haven't pulled another code so I think after 25,000 miles I'm starting to understand the beast.

I did go to the dealership this morning to pick up some fuel filters and while I was there I talked to the mechanic that works on the diesels and it looks like when I called them the advisor's never even talked to him about my problem? Anyway, he said that the Exhaust brake was included on the 6.7L not because Dodge was being nice but because it's needed to clean the variable vain slider ring in the turbocharger. He said that they've had two come in driven by people that drive only in town except for vacation that needed to have a hole drilled in the side so cleaner could be injected into the turbo to clean them. I asked him about the EGR system and he told me that if you're running the exhaust brake it will keep it clean too.

He told me that I've had the least amount of problems with my truck and asked me how many miles I have on it and my driving style and agreed that lugging up hills in 6th at 40 miles an hour would produce a tremendous amount of soot.

Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Head Flunky

Well look at what I found out from Dodge about this code. I think I may be taking my truck to the big city of Wichita because the small town Service Department is lost. http://www.cumminsownerz.com/PDF/11-001-08.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11-002-08.pdf (127.7 KB, 282 views)
File Type: pdf 18-013-08.pdf (129.2 KB, 243 views)

Old 07-09-2008, 06:45 AM

Hey squid, I understand how the Exhaust brake works, But if you drive around with the brake on, doesn't the engine have to work harder to get the exhaust on, thereby using more fuel? Or am I looking at it wrong
Old 07-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Head Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruck View Post
Hey squid, I understand how the Exhaust brake works, But if you drive around with the brake on, doesn't the engine have to work harder to get the exhaust on, thereby using more fuel? Or am I looking at it wrong
It doesn't change anything when driving. If you'll get up to speed and while watching the RPMs turn on the exhaust brake the RPM's don't change. Where you loose MPG is when you let off the gas since the truck won't coast as far.

So it's now been over a week since I've seen the elusive P2262 code so I guess I'll stay out of the big city of Wichita since I and my mechanic seem to have a handle on this problem. "Drive out on the highway with the Exhaust Brake on to keep the turbo clean."

I still find it sad that a truck that is built for and bought bought by farmers, RVers and construction companies who all historically idle a lot and drive at slow speeds in town/job sites isn't up to the task and is only happy screaming down the highway. I need to look at the warranty again because I don't think it's 5 years or 60,000 miles on the drive train like most.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default What is you psi boost

Squid, can you read the psi boost on your edge? I get on mine at least once per day to make sure I'm getting the 31.5 psi boost. So far, that has not changed over 18000 miles.
Flatmann has been through the same thing having the cleaning procedure done twice. Last I heard from him, Dodge has agreed to give him a new turbo.

7.5 3500QC 6.7CTD 68RFE Build date June 2007
Superchips tuner 3808, Boost/EGT Laser Gauge, Airaid cold intake
Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Head Flunky

WOW I didn't realize anyone else had had this problem other then me?

Anywho, the edge does give a boost readout but I've never paid any attention to what it puts out when I get on it. I'll check Sunday when I head back out to the job sites.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:16 AM

Angry

I drive with the ex-brake on all the time, and was also told it helps to keep the turbo clean. I wish there was a switch that would leave it on all the time and automatically come on at start up? I do believe that your mileage does suffer a bit especially in city driving as someone said not being able to coast...Oh well it hepls on the wear of brakes. I had the latest AX flash and have not noticed any change in performance etc. The only thing that bugs me is how hot these trucks run 900-1100* crusing and normal driving. I use the turbo timer on the Edge box and it seems the truck is still running forever when I go into a store or at home in the garage to get it to cool down to 400*. That alone doesn't help mileage and not mention wasting fuel. My sons 06 5.9 runs way cooler, and by the time he pulls into the garage EGT's 350* or so. I hoping by the time my truck warranty runs out, some of these mileage and heat issues are resolved, or someone comes up with a way to effectively reprogram the ECM's.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
WOW I didn't realize anyone else had had this problem other then me?
Just wanted to let you know that the cleaning procedure does not seem to have a good track record.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Squid, what is you boost read?? I'm real interested in this. Flatman and others like you have had problems which means none of us are exempt. Any information on boost now and after cleaning would be helpful.

Links