6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Head Flunky

Default Cummins 6.7L VGT Exhaust Brake Operation

TURBOCHARGER EXHAUST BRAKE FUNCTION -The VGT works in conjunction with the engine and transmission to provide an integrated braking system used to help slow the vehicle. This is commonly called exhaust braking. This braking power is achieved by modulating the turbo sliding nozzle ring to restrict the flow of exhaust gases from the engine, which in turn creates a high back pressure on the engine. The high back pressure creates a high level of resistance to the motion of the pistons within the engine and this resistance is used to reduce engine speed and thus vehicle speed.
The exhaust brake feature will only function when the driver turns the exhaust brake switch to the on position. Once the switch is in the on position and the vehicle is moving faster than 8 k/h (5 MPH); the exhaust brake will automatically operate when the driver removes pressure from the throttle pedal allowing the engine to see 0% throttle and 0 fuel delivery.
Exhaust braking is most effective when the engine RPM is higher. The automatic transmission has been programmed to downshift more aggressively when the exhaust brake is enabled to increase brake performance. Use of automatic transmission Tow/Haul Mode improves interaction between the engine and transmission. Inputs to the exhaust brake feature include:
Coolant temperature
Ambient air temperature
Exhaust manifold pressure sensor
Throttle pedal position sensor
Fault codes with any of these sensors will cause the exhaust brake feature to be disabled.
The exhaust brake feature can also be used to reduce the engine warm up time. To use the exhaust brake as a warm-up device, the vehicle must be moving less than 8 k/h (5 MPH), the exhaust brake switch must be in the on position, and the coolant temperature must below 82C (180 F) and ambient temperature below 15.5C (60 F).

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Links
Old 04-05-2009, 10:28 AM

After having read several threads about the problems with P2262 codes due to accumulated soot (experiencing this problem myself) and the affinity of the Cummins
6.7L to highway operation versus city driving; Dodge would just change the functionality of the exhaust brake so that it starts in the "On" position by default. My service managers strongly advocate the use of the exhaust brake at all times, especially in my high altitude. Though I used my exhaust brake very often, I don't know if it would have improved the condition of my turbo; having it cleaned out last week, but it may help to prevent future soot build-up.

I wonder how difficult it would be for Dodge to change either the switch or the software such that the exhaust brake automatically turned on unless turned off by the driver. Not that it is difficult to operate by the driver, it would just be more convenient not having to turn it on everytime you start the vehicle.

Perhaps as Dodge Cummins 6.7L owners we could launch a consolidated front when we speak to our respective service managers to have the modification done.

Last edited by Creed's Cummins; 04-05-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Head Flunky

I wondered the same thing but due to winter and work haven't got around to looking into this but I am and I'll be sure to let you know.

So you actually had them do the tap and clean on your Turbo? Guess I must have caught mine early thankfully because I sure didn't like the thought of them tapping my turbo.

Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 04-06-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks Squid. I didn't like the idea of such invasive action to my turbo either, but I kept getting the P2262 code. I guess I fell victim to too much in-town driving. Hopefully it will last.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 PM

Is there any disavantage of using the E Brake all the time?

In my new truck (800 kms ) I've used the brake pretty much all the time I drive. So far i haven't towed anything yet, but still use the EB....
Old 04-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Is there any disavantage of using the E Brake all the time?

In my new truck (800 kms ) I've used the brake pretty much all the time I drive. So far i haven't towed anything yet, but still use the EB....
No, you may use a little more fuel because you're not coasting...I run mine all the time

7.5 3500QC 6.7CTD 68RFE Build date June 2007
Superchips tuner 3808, Boost/EGT Laser Gauge, Airaid cold intake
Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis-a'-vis View Post
No, you may use a little more fuel because you're not coasting...I run mine all the time
LOL.. I just ran mine...empty down a steep hill, using tow/haul mode, and it slowed me down to 30 km/hr.. into first gear, without touching the brake. Gotta really like that feature. It was a little jerky probably a little rough for horses. BUT, since I was empty, it likely would be different with a load. I reserve the right to advise more later LOL.

The saving in brakes, stress and what ever else, will more the compensate in fuel.

Errr... have I mentioned how much I think of this truck???

(ps...not sure how many miles wify will get to put on....)
Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Head Flunky

The other thing about running the exhaust brake is that since it is actually the Turbo and brakes by modulating the turbo sliding nozzle ring to restrict the flow of exhaust gases from the engine, which in turn creates a high back pressure on the engine. It helps keep the Tubo clean and keeps that nasty old P2262 Code at bay.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 AM

I also run my EB all the time. As well, I only let it shift the first four gears in town.
2007 Ram 2500 QC 4x4 SLT TRX4-Offroad 6.7L Automatic full deletes 4" TBE XRT Pro Gauges Pusher intake manifold & tube S&B with scoop. '13 Jeep GC Laredo 5.7 - wife's DD. '98 Jeep XJ-my wife's former DD. 1965 Dodge Polara 880 Convertible 383 Automatic.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 PM

I love my EB also, though I was bummed when I hooked my boat up and towed it the first time... I forgot I had surge brakes on the trailer. It already slows down with them!
Links