6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Cummins 6.7L OEM, Performance and Aftermarket Forums > Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Head Flunky

Default 2A00, 2A01, P242F, P1451 Gone! (Long Post)

I fixed it and by golly I still have my DPF!

As most of you know I've been working on my truck for about a month now trying to fix the following codes that cropped up.
P1451-DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER SYSTEM PERFORMANCE
P242F-DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER RESTRICTION - ASH ACCUMULATION
P2A00-O2 SENSOR 1/1 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
P2A01-O2 SENSOR 1/2 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE

at the time that these popped up (all in one night), I was driving the truck with code (P1507 Crankcase Filter) and the overhead display telling me that I needed to perform Service meaning that the CCV Filter needed replaced and I had one on order and was just waiting for it to arrive. I tell you this because this is very important and you can read about that here Cummins 6.7L Perform Service, Regeneration Required, P1507, P2A00, P2A01, P1451,P242F .

So here's what I had done up to today.

The Crankcase filter had been replaced and I had troubleshot the two P2A00 and P2A01 which by following the Service Manual lead me to replace the Oxygen Sensor Module which made sense to me since this all started right after I had drove through some high water but unfortunately this didn't fix the problems.

I then (Still with the water crossing in mind) spent a couple of weeks pulling every connector loose, driving the truck, pulling more connectors loose and driving the truck, etc, etc, etc. Still no luck.

I then drove to Wichita and talked to the Service Manager who told me that with codes P1451 and P242F they have a TSB that tells them to change out the DPF and hinted that he would do a DPF delete rather then buy a new DPF since my truck has ran past the warranty period.

So yesterday, I started thinking about the CCV Filter and how oiled up it was and the fact that I had jumped on her due to a Turbo code I had gotten from babying her waiting for the filter to arrive so I decided to get out the Electrical Contact cleaner and start cleaning sensors. My next and last theory was that when I jumped on her to clean the turbo vanes i had sucked oil into the turbo and by doing this maybe some had found it's way to the Maf and that was why the performance sucked even though the truck didn't go into limp mode........ever. Unfortunately this didn't fix anything.

So the next thing I thought I'd try is cleaning the oxygen sensors with the Contact Cleaner even though they looked really good and I had blown them off in the beginning, ohmed them out and they passed, I figured maybe if I had sucked oil down into the turbo then maybe the oil didn't get burned and was clogging the sensors? maybe?

So I take the truck down the road about 10 miles and turn around but no regeneration and as I turn to get on my dirt road I happen to glance down at the Edge and by golly after a month and 1300 miles she's regenerating so i scream past the house and make my way to the highway where she does a nice healthy regeneration for almost 50 miles. Once the regeneration is complete i stop the truck, clear the codes, start the truck back up and WAH-LA! No check engine light and codes P1451 and P242F are gone. These two codes by the way when they appear can not be cleared.

Summary

1.) When you get the Perform Service warning on the overhead and a Check Engine Light with (P1507 Crankcase Filter) stop driving the truck until you get the CCV filter changed because the filter is soaked with oil.
Quote:
The CCV system reroutes crankcase ventilation (blow-by) gases from the breather assembly back into the engine intake airflow to be used for combustion. The crankcase ventilation system uses a coalescing filter which captures and filters crankcase blow-by gases and then returns oil directly to the sump but once the Filter is oil soaked and clogged oil can and will be sucked into the Turbo.
3.) The 2 Oxygen Sensors used on our trucks are used not only for adjusting the air/fuel mixture to optimize combustion but also are needed for regeneration.

4.) I'll be cleaning my Oxygen Sensors at 10,000 mile intervals with Electrical Contact Cleaner for the best performance of my 6.7L engine/DPF and will always have a CCV filter in my truck along with the tools to replace it with from now on.

So I've learned a lot about my truck and I'm proud to say that I still have my DPF!

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10

Last edited by Squid; 06-05-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Links
Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Great job, i'm glad it worked out for the best.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Head Flunky

Oh and I forgot to add that the total cost was less then $50. If I would have cleaned the oxygen sensors with contact cleaner in the beginning then the cost would have been closer to $.02. Tonight I take her for a 130 mile drive and about half of that will be hauling a backhoe and tractor...............this should tell me if she's healed or not.

Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 06-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Head Flunky

I should have added a summary/Lessons learned at the end but I was tired so I'll do it here and just copy it up above for anyone that comes by with the same problem.

Summary

1.) When you get the Perform Service warning on the overhead and a Check Engine Light with (P1507 Crankcase Filter) stop driving the truck until you get the CCV filter changed because the filter is soaked with oil.
Quote:
The CCV system reroutes crankcase ventilation (blow-by) gases from the breather assembly back into the engine intake airflow to be used for combustion. The crankcase ventilation system uses a coalescing filter which captures and filters crankcase blow-by gases and then returns oil directly to the sump but once the Filter is oil soaked and clogged oil can and will be sucked into the Turbo.
3.) The 2 Oxygen Sensors used on our trucks are used not only for adjusting the air/fuel mixture to optimize combustion but also are needed for regeneration.

4.) I'll be cleaning my Oxygen Sensors at 10,000 mile intervals with Electrical Contact Cleaner and will always have a CCV filter in my truck along with the tools to replace it with from now on.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

I would suggest just replacing the crank case filter at a regular schedule and not depend on the warning sensors. I would also recommend the same for other filters. I have always changed all the filters at a much tighter schedule on diesel and gas engines to avoid problems. The extra cost is cheaper long run.

At 10K miles on this truck, I changed all the filters no matter what. On other diesel engines, I take the service interval required and divide it by at least 3, it has worked well for me over the years.

Glad all is worked out well for you squid !!

Cheers,
Roberto

'08 3500 HD Dually, SLT, 6.7L, 6 SPD Auto, 4.10 Axles, 4X4, Bighorn Edition
Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Squid...This is a very critical find of yours and a extremely valuable post...This filter must be replaced on a regular interval....This is what leaders do, they hang in there true to their values, even in the valley of temptation...Way to go, you Da Man

7.5 3500QC 6.7CTD 68RFE Build date June 2007
Superchips tuner 3808, Boost/EGT Laser Gauge, Airaid cold intake
Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Head Flunky

Thanks everyone, I drove the beast 180 miles last night and she was Happy, Happy, Happy! Got another nice regeneration on the way home so all is well once again.

Moribus hit it right on the head. We as owners now know that the 67,500 that Dodge recommends isn't going to cut it for most of us when it comes to the CCV filter. Not if we want to drive our trucks home from a trip. I was at 53,000 miles when the overhead said it needed replaced and as you'll see when I post the pictures of the change, it was way past do.

The filter is $60 which isn't cheap but neither is a tow truck to tow you and your trailer to the nearest dealership (Which is going to be a whole lot farther now with all the closures) when the Filter becomes saturated and takes out your oxygen sensors because even though it never went into limp mode power was drastically reduced.

Since I drive so much I'm going to change mine out every spring which will be in the 30 to 40,000 mile range from now on and I'll always have one in the storage compartment in the back on trips.

Links