6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Site Business > New Member Area
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Member Area This is a great place to start, let us know who you are and we'll show you how to do things like post pics, start a thread, etc

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Thumbs up dpf/egr delete long term issues?

hi i am new to the forum i just got myself a 2008 laramie with the 6.7 i have been searching the internet and in here about removing the dpf and egr but i havent read much about the long term results of this modification i really want to do it but i dont want to have a huge mechanics bill in 40 to 50k anyone in here have a significant amount of miles without problems? any advice would be great thanks.
Links
Old 01-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Ok so I have the same year truck, and I did a egr dpf delete about 3000 miles ago. I did lots research on it and so far I have not turned up any ill effcets from it. All you are doing is removing emissions crap from your engine. if anything my friend its gonna save you money in the long run. Keep reading about the EGR system and DPF exhaust systems. I believe there is a write up in here somewhere that will tell you all about both systems. just so we are clear, you are not really modifiying anything you are removing somethings, and reprogramming your ECM to ignore the removed stuff. Better do it soon if you want to do it, some rumors are flying around some of the diesel magizines that the EPA and a few other groups are pushing hard to make the programers that delete the emissions from your trucks ECM illegal. Course that will just create a black market for them. lol our government agencies are so... well lets just say not smart and leave it at that.

08 6.7L engine NOT STOCK, 6 speed auto, 2 inch leveling kit sittin on 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country ATII, 3.73 rear end, SLT package, Smarty Jr with Edge CTS monitor system. 24MPG@65MPH , use RBP fuel additive.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard !

Deletes if done right will not harm the engine and actually save it. As for the issue of legal vs illegal, that battle has been going on for more years that anyone will care to say. Bottom line, its illegal to alter or remove your smog system (gas or diesel). In some states, local police can do on the road side inspection and impound the vehicle based on what is installed, has not stopped anyone yet. This goes along the lines that various diesel mags claiming that diesel engines will be banned shortly and all that happened was more and more auto makers releasing diesel versions of their cars.

Bottom line, if you are doing lots of highway driving and towing, the smog system will work with no issues at all. If you are trying to use the truck as a local grocery shopper and do lots of small runs, the smog system will become a problem, it will plug up.

Cheers.

'08 3500 HD Dually, SLT, 6.7L, 6 SPD Auto, 4.10 Axles, 4X4, Bighorn Edition
Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it originally I was hoping to just get rid of the egr as I do lots of highway the dpf should never Plug anyway and I've never seen it do a regen I have a ford power stroke with the dpf an it is junk compared to my dodge I can't believe the amount of smoke that comes out some days and I never get any out of my dodge it's absolutely rediculous. Another thing as well im from Alberta Canada not sure what the laws are but I haven't heard anywhere that I can't have the emissions crap taken out I always hear people bitching its because of California law. Not sure about here I will be looking into it right away.

Thanks again guys.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Do not remove the egr and keep the rest in place, the egr is critical to the regen process and if you have the J35 update, there is a trap for it. Just highway driving is not enough for a full cleaning, it helps keep things really clean but a regen will happen at some point. The reason you see no smoke on the dodge is due to the DPF, its very very effective.

Honestly if you do lots of highway driving and towing, the smog system will be transparent. I know of several folks with over 100K mileage and no issues at all. There is chap here that just posted, 300K miles and no issues at all with full smog in place.

Hope that helps.

Installed: CAI, HitchCrafter Air 5th Wheel, Spyntec Dually Hubs, ATS Co-Pilot, Smarty, Edge Insight, 19.5 Wheels, FS-2500 ByPass Filter, 4 Fuel Filter Setup, Raptor Pump, BodyGuard Triple Side Steps

Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Here in Alberta, we live in a bit of an oasis when it comes to smog control. There is nothing at present that requires us to have a vehicle of any kind put through an annual smog or visual test, as is the case in other jurisdictions. So you can presently do deletes here with no worries. Whether that remains the case is totally up to the whim of the law makers, enforcers and government bean counters.
I do know that when the inevitable plugging of the DPF comes about, to replace it is cost prohibitive. With that said, how you drive it and maintain it will dictate a lot as to how long the DPF will last.
I have personally been debating this issue since i purchased my truck in January of '08. Although I have been running with the EGR unplugged since 10,000 KMs rolled up (the truck now has 140,000+) I have yet to delete. I have run since it was almost new, with a modified air intake and most recently an S&B CAI, the exhaust is stock. I have the S&B scoop package sitting in my garage to install before trailer season starts. But my debate about doing deletes continues. Most of the people whom i have talked to with deletes done tell me that they have only gotten a 2 to 3 MPG HWY increase but a world of difference in drivability.
2007 Ram 2500 QC 4x4 SLT TRX4-Offroad 6.7L Automatic full deletes 4" TBE XRT Pro Gauges Pusher intake manifold & tube S&B with scoop. '13 Jeep GC Laredo 5.7 - wife's DD. '98 Jeep XJ-my wife's former DD. 1965 Dodge Polara 880 Convertible 383 Automatic.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Head Flunky

It's all up to the individual. By the time you add in the cost of doing the delete will you really save that much?

I have all the original stuff on my truck with 127,000 miles and we're getting ready to buy another truck and I'll keep it stock too.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 01-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Squid, what you looking to get ?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
It's all up to the individual. By the time you add in the cost of doing the delete will you really save that much?

I have all the original stuff on my truck with 127,000 miles and we're getting ready to buy another truck and I'll keep it stock too.
I agree, it's entirely up to the individual.
The cost of the delete is $2000 to $3000 depending on the chosen programmer and exhaust system. The modest savings generated by the MPG increase will take a long time to pay that out. Of course, if the truck is a long term project for 10 or 15 years or a high # of miles/KMs are driven per year, it makes sense.
One must also be prepared to shell out for up grades to the rest of the drivetrain so it can handle the power. Otherwise great care and restraint will have to be exercised on the go pedal.
I should have mentioned above that I have had zero issues with my truck but all the up dates were done at the time of purchase and have been done since. That said, the truck has been to the dealer only 4 times since the purchase.
2007 Ram 2500 QC 4x4 SLT TRX4-Offroad 6.7L Automatic full deletes 4" TBE XRT Pro Gauges Pusher intake manifold & tube S&B with scoop. '13 Jeep GC Laredo 5.7 - wife's DD. '98 Jeep XJ-my wife's former DD. 1965 Dodge Polara 880 Convertible 383 Automatic.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Head Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbius View Post
Squid, what you looking to get ?

We're going to keep the 1 ton for all the dirty hard work and buy a 3/4 ton Mega Cab with the 6.7L. I'm in touch with a place in AZ that does the 8-FT bed conversion to try and work out the logistics of the truck being purchased there and then I'll go get it when it's done.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Links