6.7L  Cummins Forum

6.7L Cummins Forum

Go Back   6.7L Cummins Forum > Dodge Cummins Stuff > Shade Tree Troubleshooting
Home Forums Photo Gallery Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shade Tree Troubleshooting Members Helping Members.

Welcome to the 6.7L Cummins Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Head Flunky

Default P0489-egr control circuit low

There are two portions to this diagnostic: 1. The diagnostic monitors motor effort as a measure of current. When the valve is opening to a position, and uses too much motor effort to achieve that position the diagnostic will fail. This will most likely occur in a situation when the valve is stuck. 2. At every key on, the valve tries to recalibrate it's position. The valve shaft will move until it comes into contact with the valve. If the distance the valve shaft must move is different by a calibrated amount than the original learned movement then the diagnostic fails. This will most likely occur if the valve is stuck in an open position. The valve will perform this autozero function at every key on and every time the valve is commanded closed throughout the engine operating cycle. The ECM will illuminate the MIL lamp after the diagnostic runs and fails in two consecutive drive cycles. The ECM will also turn on the ETC lamp. During this time the ECM will not longer control the EGR valve. The MIL lamp will turn off once the diagnostic runs and passes in 4 consecutive drive cycles.
  • When Monitored: At key on, while engine running
  • Set Condition: Motor effort exceeds a calibrated level or autozero function fails.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Links
Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 PM

I used to get the EGR flow excessive when my EGR valve stuck open. I believe that his may have stuck closed not allowing the regen to happen. They did replace the accuator and the valve after two visits to the dealer. I now know that gauges to show regen and EGT temps are a must on this truck. EDGE WITH ATTITUDE is a must IMHO or a monitor.

Winger
2008 2500 Silver 4x4 6 Speed Auto Big Horn Edition Volant CAI Magnaflow Muff Edge w/ Attitude
1990 Honda GL 1500 Wineberry 125,000 Miles
2005 Honda GL 1800 Candy Blackcherry 50,000 Miles
Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, you need to know what your truck is doing

7.5 3500QC 6.7CTD 68RFE Build date June 2007
Superchips tuner 3808, Boost/EGT Laser Gauge, Airaid cold intake
Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 PM

I had this code, along with the 2262 starting about 2 months ago. They always showed up and disappeared at the same time. At first it would self-clear but kept getting worse and finally I was able to get to the dealer with the light still on. They replaced the EGR, cleaned the EGR piping and ran a test on the turbo. My turbo had been replaced once already a little over a year ago, just before they started shipping with the cleaning port. I expected them to drill & tap the turbo but they said no, they do exactly what the Dodge diagnostic equipment tells them (per Dodge policy). So they reflashed the computer along with the EGR stuff. It's been about 3 weeks and the truck is running good. The exhaust brake is more aggressive and the truck seems to have a little more power but that might be in my head.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Head Flunky

Hi Dale! So you do a lot of in town driving? The only way we've found to keep the 2262 code away is to regularly (once or twice a week) jump on her to build boost thus moving the sliding vane in the turbo. That and run the exhaust brake.

It's great to have you here!

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 HD,QC, 6.7L Cummins, 6speed Auto, 4X4, Bighorn Edition.
Click for installs: Carr Steps PML Diff Cover Edge Juice with Attitude Volant Intake Hankook ATM RF10
Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM

I've always run the EB, which didn't actually help the 2262 but makes the truck more fun so I still run it. I don't do much stop & go but lots of driving below 50mph. I get it out on the highway pretty regularly - never had any problems with the DPF but I've seen many instances of P2000. They've replaced the O2 sensors at least 3 times and reflashed it abou 6 times since I bought it in Oct 07. Plus one turbo replacement. This is definitely the most troublesome vehicle I've ever owned. I don't tow anything heavy and I've found it's not really feasible to put the motor under a sustained load. By the time your foot has been on the floor a few seconds you're going about 75mph and need to back off. I even tried dragging the brakes while flooring it up a big hill. All I got from that was hot stinking brakes.

I'm not happy about the many service visits but I like how the truck drives. It's certainly not boring. Plus I'd lose too much money getting rid of it. I still have 3 years of warranty and I hope Dodge & Cummins get it figured out by then.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
I've always run the EB, which didn't actually help the 2262 but makes the truck more fun so I still run it. I don't do much stop & go but lots of driving below 50mph. I get it out on the highway pretty regularly - never had any problems with the DPF but I've seen many instances of P2000. They've replaced the O2 sensors at least 3 times and reflashed it abou 6 times since I bought it in Oct 07. Plus one turbo replacement. This is definitely the most troublesome vehicle I've ever owned. I don't tow anything heavy and I've found it's not really feasible to put the motor under a sustained load. By the time your foot has been on the floor a few seconds you're going about 75mph and need to back off. I even tried dragging the brakes while flooring it up a big hill. All I got from that was hot stinking brakes.

I'm not happy about the many service visits but I like how the truck drives. It's certainly not boring. Plus I'd lose too much money getting rid of it. I still have 3 years of warranty and I hope Dodge & Cummins get it figured out by then.
When you are driving below 50, what gear do you have it in? I try to keep my RPMs around 2000 all the time. I got my truck in Sept. of 07 and have only had that boost code one...Took it out ant wide open throttle a few times reaching around 35 psi boost and the code was gone.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:49 PM

I think the manual says to shift up at 45 (into high). Normally I run 5th up to 45 and 6th when I drive faster. I have noticed a huge increase in the power of the EB after the recent service work and reflash. I don't know whether the ECM reflash is the reason or the new EGR but I like it. The truck is running pretty good right now. I see on another forum that the new flash tells the system to ignore the 2262 code during the first 500 seconds of operation after being started. That alone will probably clear up the 2262 for me because mine always came on within the first 5 minutes after a start.

Now my dealer can't get any fuel filters. Lucky Genos has some and one is being shipped right now.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
I think the manual says to shift up at 45 (into high). Normally I run 5th up to 45 and 6th when I drive faster. I have noticed a huge increase in the power of the EB after the recent service work and reflash. I don't know whether the ECM reflash is the reason or the new EGR but I like it. The truck is running pretty good right now. I see on another forum that the new flash tells the system to ignore the 2262 code during the first 500 seconds of operation after being started. That alone will probably clear up the 2262 for me because mine always came on within the first 5 minutes after a start.

Now my dealer can't get any fuel filters. Lucky Genos has some and one is being shipped right now.
I run 4th up to 50 and 5th up to 60 with a 3:73 rearend

Links